1. Who can apply for the Start Up NOW Grant?
We support grassroots, youth-led initiatives in Ottawa-Gatineau. That means we accept applications from groups of two or more people, and the majority of the members of the group must be under the age of 25.
We welcome applications from a total mixture of initiatives: from newly formed groups that are just starting out and want help, to established local activist groups who want to widen and deepen their impact with extra funds.
2. How much money can we apply for?
Up to $1,000.
3. How do we apply for this amazing opportunity?
Just go to the form on our website and answer a few simple questions about who you are and what you want to do. Then we’ll get in touch for a quick chat on the phone to make any clarifications before our grants committee considers the applications.
4. Is there an application deadline?
There is no application deadline – applications are welcomed on an ongoing basis, and all the month’s applications will be considered by the grants committee at the start of the following month. For example, if you submit your application at any time in March, you will know if you have been awarded the grant in mid-April.
5. How many times can we apply for Start Up NOW funds?
If your application isn’t approved, we’ll give you detailed feedback and you can reapply next month.
If your application is approved, if and when you can apply again will depend on how long your project is and how it goes – we’ll work with each group individually to determine policy on giving out further grants.
6. Is there a limit to the amount of funds you can give out each month?
No – we have no monthly limit. If we receive ten great applications, we’ll fund ten great projects that month. Remember that our aim is to say YES to every group that applies!
7. Who are the committee and what criteria are they judging grants on?
The committee is made up of five Youth Action Now volunteers, mostly young people. We are looking to see that grants are in line with our statement of values and are having their impact in Ottawa-Gatineau.
8. My group wants to apply for the Start Up NOW Grant program, but our initiative has already started, can we still apply to receive additional funding?
Yes! As long as your initiative is community-based and youth-led, we will consider funding it even if you have other investors, financing or support.
We do not intend to fund other organization’s programs, however – the initiatives must be youth-led and grassroots.
9. My group wants to make sure that our application is as awesome as possible: do you have any tips for writing a strong application?
Just be yourself – we’re not looking for super-professional pitches or faultless projects. We just want to know who you are, what you care about, the change you want to make and how we can help you make it.
10. What happens after I submit my application?
We’ll give you a call to ask a few follow up questions, clarify anything that is unclear and identify how we can best support you, then the grants committee will read your application and allocate funds. Grants will be made in the second week of each month to applications from the previous month.
11. Who can I contact if I have any questions about the grants or my application?
Email our Program Coordinator, Vicky – email@example.com – she’ll be happy to help!